I’d like to share with you a “happy” little exercise I like to do, called “Smiling on the Inside.” This is a GREAT visualization exercise to help you feel better on all levels.
All you need is a few moments of silence, where you can relax and close your eyes, and follow these steps:
1. Close your eyes, and silence your thoughts.
2. Take a deep breath in, expanding your belly, to fill up your lungs from the bottom up.
3. Hold the breath for 7 seconds, and then exhale very slowly through your mouth. Repeat this breathing pattern 3 more times, and then resume your normal breathing.
4. Imagine yourself stepping backwards, deeper and deeper, until you are inside your body.
5. While inside your body, find a red blood cell that has just been infused with life-giving oxygen, getting ready to travel to all your organs and cells of your body to deliver that oxygen.
6. Imagine you are hopping on to that red blood cell, as a bright, smiling, shining light of love and joy, ready to be delivered to every cell and organ of your body, right along with the oxygen. Smile as you do this! If you don’t feel like smiling, then just imagine that you are. See the smile on the light you are projecting on to the cell.
7. As you ride the red blood cell through your body, imagine that every cell, organ, and organ system you encounter receives the bright shining light of love and joy.
8. As each cell and organ and system in your body receives your bright shining light of love and joy, they all light up and smile. Your brain is smiling, your heart, liver, kidneys, spleen, lungs, pancreas, stomach, intestines, adrenals, pineal, pituitary, hypothalamus, blood vessels, lymphatic vessels – imagine that they all smile as you encounter them. Keep going through your arms and legs, until you have circulated through every part of your body, spreading smiles and light and love and thanks.
9. As soon as you have witnessed your cells, organs and systems all lit up and smiling, send one more breath out to the Universe, and one out to the Earth, with a big smile of love and gratitude. Open your eyes, and continue your day.
After you complete this exercise, you will notice a great feeling of joy. You can do this anytime you feel like giving yourself a little boost – and the more often you do this, the more you will improve your health in mind, body, and spirit.
Have fun with this. Enjoy!