From the book: “The Space Between – An Inspirational Tale of the Journey out of the Ego-Mind and into Spirit,” by Patricia Reed. Excerpt taken from Chapter 12: You Had it All Along
One of the most important things you can ever learn is how to step into your power.
We’ve all heard about how using visualization and affirmation techniques can change our lives. Is this true? Yes – however – there is a very important piece of information that is often missing from the advice we receive about this. In fact, this missing piece of information proves to be the most crucial part of any technique we use to create our lives as we want them to be.
How do you step into your power? By letting go of the need to have your life a certain way. Did you catch that? It is the need to have, be, or do something that holds us back and keeps us out of our own power. How so?
When you have a need for a specific outcome, this means that you are attached to it. When you are attached to something, you give up your power to it. Stepping into your power means that you recognize and accept that you are complete within yourself, without the need for any particular thing, person, circumstance, or outcome. You give up the illusion that anything outside of yourself gives you happiness, control or power.
I love to use the example of the flower seed. You plant a seed, because you have envisioned that having a beautiful flower in your yard will bring you joy to look at every day. With joy and anticipation, you go out to this perfect spot in your yard, and plant your flower seed. And what do you do next? Do you stand there in front of it, day after day, night after night, waiting for it to grow? Do you get frustrated because nothing is happening, and then go digging it up to make sure it’s still there? Do you start stalking the birds and the squirrels to make sure they’re not stealing your seed? Of course not! That’s silly, isn’t it?
Yet, that’s exactly what we tend to do with our own lives, isn’t it. We plant these wonderful seeds of desires, and then frantically watch for them to blossom. We try one kind of water, and say, “oh, that’s not fast enough, there must be something wrong with this water.” So we go buy some expensive miracle water and start watering our seed with it. But still, no blossom. So we try another type of water, and then another… We start to dig up the seed to make sure it’s still there – thinking, what if it drowned, or what if a bird got it, or what if that little squirrel stole it, or, my personal favorite – “it’s my husband’s fault” – and in the process, we ourselves delay the already perfect process of this seed blooming into its flower by our very need to have it happen.
If we would just let go, and learn how to anticipate joyfully, in complete faith that our seed is going to blossom into that beautiful flower, then it certainly would. If we trust the natural process of the Universe – that the Universe provides everything that seed needs to grow into that flower – the sunlight, the rain, the nutrients – without our having to do anything but give it a little extra water from time to time, pull out any weeds in the way, and joyfully anticipate the flower to come, then we know that this is exactly how we’re going to get that flower to blossom, isn’t it?
The same is true in our own lives.
1. Plant the seeds of your desires. To water these seeds, simply spend some time in the garden of your mind, visualizing yourself having these desires in your life. This shows your subconscious mind what you want, so that your subconscious mind can become familiar and comfortable with seeing and knowing what comes next.
2. Let go of the need to control the process – this means trusting that the Universe will provide the way for your desires to come into your life.
3. Let go of the need to have it in a certain way. This means that you accept your own power and create space for your desire to come to you in the highest and best way, and not just in the way that our limited consciousness can conceive of. Accept that it might not be exactly what you wanted in the first place – this means you might actually get something even better than what you originally wanted.
4. Don’t waste your life standing over the seed waiting for it go grow. Let go of the need to make sure it grows. Becoming distracted with needing to know how something is going to appear into your life will always delay the process of bringing it to you. Let go of the need to know how it grows, and just trust that it is growing, even if you can’t see it yet. This is how you step into and keep your own power, rather than giving it away. Go back to your life and do what makes you happy. Accept “what is, right now” with joy and appreciation for nothing more than everything you already have – even the bad with the good. Once we realize that everything already is good, even if we don’t like it, we become very powerful creators of our own lives.
5. Let go of the illusion that what we see is real. If you look out to that spot where you planted the flower and see no growth, understand and accept that it is only illusion, because there is so much more going on that we simply just can’t see yet. You know that it is there growing, even though you don’t see the sprout just yet, don’t you? The same is true in life. There is always so much more going on that we cannot see. By believing what we see – that it’s not here yet – we delay the process of bringing it to us. Always accept that what we see is very limited. Remember: it’s not that seeing is believing, but rather, it’s that we will see it when we believe it.
6. Understand that conscious creation isn’t always as simple as we’d like it to be. Don’t get discouraged and give up. We all have trapped emotions and subconscious programs and beliefs that we are unaware of, that cause us to vibrate to a frequency that doesn’t match what we want. These can be likened to the “weeds” in the garden that can sometimes get in the way and choke the growth of the flower. Understand that this can be changed. As we would “weed a garden,” we also “weed our minds.” Remember: our conscious minds are only about 3% of our entire mind; the rest is all subconscious and unconscious, and these are the true power in actualizing our lives. There are wonderful, powerful ways available to help your subconscious mind into alignment with your conscious desires, including meditation, and the Energetic Mastery Mindset Coaching Program.
By releasing any and all needs that we have, we can step into and remain in our power. It’s always our own choice. By letting go of the need to have control over our lives, we actually take control of our lives. This is how to step into your power.