What you don’t know about your sacral chakra can literally have you spinning your wheels when it comes to asking for what you want in life. Why? Because when you learn at a young and tender age in life that it’s wrong to ask for what you want, your sacral chakra begins to become blocked. We go into a state of resistance about asking for our desires, and even learn to forget that we have any desires at all, and instead focus our energies into less productive areas, such as excessive people-pleasing, instead of tending to our own desires. We become blocked about receiving, which greatly diminishes our ability to give to others.
The Second, or Sacral Chakra is also known in Sanskrit as Swadhisthanna. It is the second most physical of our chakras, and also very much involved in how we manifest our life experiences. The Sacral Chakra also vibrates at the second to lowest frequency of all our main chakras.
The Sacral Chakra also governs our reproductive organs and related emotions, sexual libido, desire, and creative energy.
Location: Near groin, about 2 finger-widths below navel
Musical note: D
Symbol for Swadhisthanna has six petals which match the vrittis of affection, pitilessness, feeling of all-destructiveness, delusion, disdain and suspicion.
Sacral Chakra corresponds with:
- Hormone balance
- Reproductive organs
Signs of Sacral Chakra imbalance include:
- Feeling unworthy/worthless; not good enough/not enough
- Hormone imbalance, including estrogen dominance
- Mood swings
- Lack of joy
- Emotional; overly-sensitive; walking on eggshells
- Miscarriages/difficulty in conceiving a child
- Program of “I must be strong, I cannot be vulnerable.”
- Excessive people-pleasing
- Cold and distant behavior; extreme detachment from others
- Lack of focus on what one wants in life
- Lack of desire; apathy
- Obsession with sex or creativity
- Frigidity or impotence
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Sexual repression
- Overly needy; clingy
- Unable to tend to one’s self; “wow she really let herself go…”
- Lack of confidence and self-esteem as a man or woman
- Creative blocks
- Excessive or missed menstrual cycles
- Sex addiction; seeing people as sex objects
- Weight gain related to hormones
- Need to be center of attention or extreme shyness
- Unwilling/unable to give without feeling drained and resentful of “needy” people
- Boundaries issues – no boundaries; overly protective/too much/too many/over-the-top boundaries
Signs that Sacral Chakra is in balance include:
- Balanced hormones
- Strong healthy desire for what one wants in life and ability to freely ask and receive
- Can be vulnerable and feel safe and secure
- Creativity; easy and healthy creative expression
- Healthy libido and pleasurable sex; no guilt or shame around sex; no feeling of “dirty”
- Ease of child conception; no miscarriage
- Can easily be center of attention without shyness or need to be
- Healthy weight/no weight gain associated with hormone imbalance
- Generous and giving while able to receive freely
- Tends to one’s own needs and desires, also able to assist others
- No need to bend over backwards to please other people; does not need other people’s approval
- Confident; healthy self-esteem as a man or woman
- Interacts warmly and joyfully with others
- Balanced moods and emotions
- Balanced boundaries
Things you can do to help balance your Sacral Chakra include:
I know some of this might seem a little foreign and maybe even difficult, but it’s important that you have fun! Play as a little boy or girl. Get out your toy trucks and barbie dolls and pretend for a little while. Don’t have them anymore? Do you have kids? Know any kids with any toys? Go play with them. Like Candace Payne, “Chewbacca Mom” – now THIS lady has got the right idea!
Who cares what anyone thinks! It’s YOUR Sacral Chakra! Play with your children as if you ARE one of them. Enjoy all it means to BE a man or a woman in this life! Life in this physical form is for so brief a moment. We came here to enjoy it, but most of us forgot along the way that life here as a man or woman on Earth is supposed to be fun. We were never supposed to stop playing. We just forgot. Let your Sacral Chakra remind you that it’s time to be a boy or a girl and play. Ask for what you want, as if you are a child, only this time, keep asking. Keep asking. Don’t give up. Don’t shut yourself off to your desires. Keep asking, and keep playing, and keep creating what you want in life.
Sacral Chakra Exercise
I AM good enough.
I AM worthy.
I AM deserving.
I AM WORTH.
I AM MORE than good enough.
I AM perfect Joy.
I AM creativity.
I AM strong enough to feel vulnerability, and I AM comfortable as I AM.
I accept myself without condition.
I know and I respect my own boundaries.I accept my masculinity. I accept my femininity.I AM complete within myself.I LOVE MYSELF.I LOVE EVERYONE.I AM LOVE.
Breathe into your sacral area. Breathe in these affirmations as you say them out loud. Breathe out all tension and stress. Breathe in Truth – Love and Joy. Breathe out all darkness. Breathe in acceptance. Breathe out Love and Joy and imagine the circulation of that Love and Joy, out to all others, as you have so much to give. As you are deserving and worthy, so are all others. Share your Joy freely.